We wanted to offer our customers a little bonus before the craziness of holiday shopping begins. We have never done a promotion like this before and we’re so excited. Saturday Nov 18 until Sunday Nov 20, 2011 (EST) we are giving all of our customers 10% off. This is across the site and you enter WELL4FAMILY at checkout
There is some fine print for the offer. You cannot stack the 10% with Baby Club discounts. Also, the 10% is not valid on shipping fees or gift card purchases.
For those of you have never used a coupon code on our site. Here’s where you enter it in the checkout:
Whether you’re at the cottage relaxing or just locked inside your Edmonton home (we’ve heard the stories of not being able to go outside without being attacked this summer), Well.ca is the place to order bug repellent and we’ll deliver it right to your front door!
Natural Mosquito Repellents:
I must admit that when the mosquitoes are biting, I tend to just bathe myself in DEET products but I understand how many Canadians feel differently. Whether you’re dousing small children, you’re pregnant or you just try to avoid unnecessary chemicals, there are natural alternatives on the market. Well.ca carries Buzz Away which includes pure, natural essential oils including cedarwood, citronella, peppermint, eucalyptus and lemongrass.
Some Canadians make their own natural mosquito repellent using a variety of essential oils. There are many species of mosquitoes and different oils repel different ones. Here are some of the oils that are commonly used:
Make sure not to forget a carrier oil such as Olive oil because these essential oils are potent and can hurt the skin.
DEET Mosquito Repellent:
Muskol is the brand that I remember from childhood and still use to this day. What can you say about Muskol? It smells bad but it works!
Mosquito Bite Treatment:
When you are covered in bites, all you want is something to take that itch away. Calamine Lotion works as does After-bite.
We’d love to hear your treatments for mosquito bites. Do you have natural remedies?
The term superfoods is heard everywhere these days in Canada. Whether you’re on a low carb, low fat or low everything diet, adding some of these foods to your daily meals can really help increase energy levels, improve your immune system and improve your overall health. Here is my list of 5 Superfoods.
1. Avocadoes: They are full of the best kind of fat (monounsaturated oleic acid) and they block the absorption of bad fats (cholesterol). They’re are high in lutein for your eyes. You can eat them fresh or use the oil (great for salads).
2. Acai: Acai is a fruit that comes from the Amazon. It is a very, very powerful antioxidant and many people believe it is an amazing superfood. Well.ca carries tons of products with Acai (some to eat and some not)
3. Pumpkin Seeds: Pumpkin seeds are high in fiber and protein they are also a rich source of minerals. I love eating the Eden Organic Spicy Pumpkin Seeds but you can also eat the pumpkin seed butter or take pumpkin seed oil in caplet form
4. Quinoa: Quinoa comes from the Andes where they refer to it as a “perfect food” due to the unique balance of amino acids. Somewhat like couscous, I love adding it to soups but Well.ca carries lots of Quinoa options.
5. Pomegranate: Rich in vitamins C and B, potassium, folic acid and iron, pomegranate is another superfood that’s great to consume in the fresh form (albeit a little annoying to eat with all those little seeds). But we also love eating this Pomegranate snack bar
Those are my favourites. What are your favourite superfoods?
While some Canadians will head south this winter to escape the cold, some of us will need to find another way to cure ourselves of the winter blues. We’ll be stuck here where it is cold and dark (not that we do not love Canada but sometimes winter is just too long for my liking). Luckily there are lots of new products on the market to help us cope and be prepared to battle those winter blues.
Some tips for surviving winter
- Vitamin D is all the more important when we are not able to get enough from the sun in the winter months
- B-complex vitamins can boost your energy levels and prevent depression
- Immune support products such as Immunity-FX can help strengthen your body’s natural defenses and prevent colds and flus
- Lavender is good for depression and releases serotonin to produce a calming influence in the body. Try using this lavender bath foam
- Bright light therapy is widely used to ease the winter blues. 20-30 minutes a day is all it takes to lighten up your days! Well.ca carries more than 10 S.A.D. lights.
- Dawn Simulation allows you to always wake up in the light. The hugely popular SunRise alarm clock uses a dawn simulator that allows you to wake up in a lighted room – a great benefit to early risers, shift workers and everyone when we’re stuck in the winter months.
Of course a healthy diet and plenty of exercise will help as well. This year I’m going to embrace winter and enjoy all the things that make winter special: tobogganing, skiing, skating and hot chocolate!
Hoping everyone has a wonderful winter. Warm wishes from Well.ca.
Many parents are trying to minimize the number of chemicals that touch their babies and they are searching for organic baby products. Soaps, shampoos and body lotions come into direct contact with your baby’s skin and so these items are of particular concern. At Well.ca, we carry a variety of brands of certified organic products and many of these brands have specific product lines for babies.
Here are a few brands to check out and we’re adding new brands every day. Please tell us if there are other brands that you’d recommend.
Under the Nile provides a line of organic baby toys made of Egyptian cotton. The company features fun characters and products that give a parent piece of mind (especially when parents know that the toys may spend hours inside the mouth of a teething baby).
Another great brand is Badger Balms. The products are comforting blends of fresh, whole, organic, extra-virgin oils, waxes, exotic butters, herbal extracts & pure essential oils. There are no chemicals, synthetics, parabens or other additives in the products. Try their balms and sunscreen for your little ones.
Aubrey Organics makes healthy, natural products based on herbal traditions. They carry organic baby shampoo organic baby soap as well as organic baby lotion. They also carry products for adults as well.
Shop Well.ca’s organic baby products:
Yes, it is true, I still get a Christmas stocking filled with goodies every year, as does every member of my family– whether young or not-so-young! Over the years, I have received some strange things in my stocking: everything from a pocket thesaurus to a multi-tool. But usually my stocking is filled with a nice mix of beauty products and fun little treats.
For those of you looking for stocking stuffer ideas, Well.ca has lots of options. To me, the best stocking stuffers fit the following criteria:
- Stocking stuffers are small (they shouldn’t be sitting next to the stocking on Christmas morning)
- Stocking stuffers are relatively inexpensive (if it costs more than $20-30 then it should be wrapped and put under the tree)
- Stocking stuffers should have some variety: you do not want your loved one to think that you went to one store and your shopping was done (even if that is true and you only shopped at Well.ca!)
- Stocking stuffers can be a good mix of practical items and treats. Shampoo (which some might think is practical) is one of my favourite stocking stuffers.
I thought that it might be useful to share a list of stocking stuffer ideas for everyone on your list. But also check out our gift giving section where you can find many more gift ideas!