Often called “the glue that holds us together,” collagen is the most abundant protein in our bodies. It gives our bones, muscles, skin, and tendons strength and structure. As we age, our stores deplete, and fast: by age 40 collagen is depleted faster than it’s produced, and by age 60 over 50% of our stores are gone, causing wrinkles, joint pain, thinner hair and more brittle bones. Chances are, you’ve heard of the bone broth craze and what fans are after is the collagen. But there’s another, simpler, way to get the benefits of collagen working from the inside out and that’s supplements.
What you need to know:
Types of Collagen: Choose your collagen based on your desired health benefit. Most supplements are made up of Types I, II and III. Types I and III are often found together in supplements because that’s how they’re found in you, and work together to promote healthy skin, hair, nails, bone, tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Type II is used to support joint, bone, and cartilage health.
“Hydrolized”: The term “hydrolized” which you’ll see on most collagen supplements is really just the breaking down and extraction of collagen into smaller molecules which improve absorption and bioavailability.
Formats: Take your pick of either powder which can be mixed with your beverage of choice or easy capsules when you’re on the run. Remember, as well as the myriad of anti-aging benefits, you’re also getting a powerful punch of protein which contributes to your overall daily recommended intake.
Sources: Check labelling for things that matter to you about the source of your collagen whether chicken, beef, or fish–like pesticide-free grass-fed, antibiotic and hormone-free, and sustainable.
Additives: Read the backs of reputable collagen supplements and you’ll notice they contain no added fillers or ingredients, but many contain added nutrients which are known to improve collagen’s efficacy and even support your body’s natural ability to produce it like vitamin C, and other additives like sulfur and hyaluronic acid which have other benefits to joints and skin.
So let’s get to it, some of Well.ca customers’ favourite collagen supplements:
1) Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen: From the makers of the famous Bulletproof Coffee, this granular collagen can easily be mixed water, juice, a smoothie or even a cup of Bulletproof coffee.
2) Health Logics BioCell Collagen: This product contains a branded ingredient known as BioCell Collagen II®, made up of type II collagen known for joint, bone, and cartilage repair, Chondroitin Sulfate for the structure and function of connective tissue, and Hyaluronic Acid to lubricate joints and add suppleness, elasticity, and moisture to our skin.
3) Organika BioCell Collagen Supreme HA-300 : These capsules also use BioCell Collagen®, formerly known as HA-300.
4) NeoCell Super Collagen Type I&III: Each scoop of this product contains collagen types I and III, commonly used to support healthy hair, skin, nails, tendons and ligaments.
5) Lorna Vanderhaeghe Active Collagen: From the producer of supplements specifically designed for women’s health, this one contains Collactive™, a proprietary mix of marine-sourced type I collagen, the same type that plumps up our skin, and elastin polypeptides which give it elasticity, in the same ratio that is naturally found in the skin. Each capsule contains Collactive™ and nothing else.
6) youtheory Collagen Advanced Formula: These convenient capsules combine all three types of collagen in a single supplement, able to boost skin, bone and joint health plus an added dose of vitamin C to synthesize the benefits and replenish your own body’s natural supply.