Iberogast is also used for the management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Functional Dyspepsia (FD). The name Iberogast is derived from it’s main component, Iberis amara, which has a tone-promoting and anti-inflammatory effect. Iberogast has an excellent safety and efficacy profile based on over 40 years of use in Europe.
Iberogast works in four different ways:
- Accelerates gastric emptying
- Reduces pain and cramping
- Alleviates heartburn
- Relieves bloating and induces expulsion of gas from the intestines
Dosage: Unless otherwise prescribed, Iberogast should be taken orally three times a day before or with meals. It may be mixed with your favourite drink.
- 12 Years and up: 20 drops
- 6 to 12 years: 15 drops
- 3 to 6 years: 10 drops
- Iberis amara: The fresh plant extract of Iberis amara represents the prokinetic component in Iberogast. It increases the tone of smooth gastro-intestinal muscles and accelerates gastro-intestinal peristalsis. Extracts of Iberis amara are only contained in the medicine Iberogast.
- Angelica: The extract acts to promote digestion, to relieve cramps and to promote gastric juice production.
- St. Mary’s Thistle: The extract acts in an hepatoprotective manner and stimulates the regeneration of liver cells.
- Caraway Fruit: The extracts act in a microbicidal manner and relieve cramps. It improves the tolerability of flatulence promoting foods (e.g. cabbage, beans).
- Lemon Balm Leaves: The extract acts as a sedative and in an anti-flatulent manner.
- Celandine: The extract acts to relieve cramps in bile ducts and in the gastro-intestinal tract.
- Liquorice Root: The extract shows a cramp-relieving action and accelerates the healing of stomach ulcers.
- Peppermint Leaves: The extract acts in an anti-flatulent manner, relieves cramps and stimulates bile production.
- Chamomile: The extract is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, cramp relieving and promotes wound healing.